The success of this project was showcased in a joint report by the EHRC, the TUC and the CBI: Talent not Tokenism – the Business Benefits of Workforce Diversity.
The project also led us to a further commission with Serco Docklands. This time we worked on the design and analysis of a diversity skills questionnaire. Firstly, we designed a questionnaire for the top 60 managers at Serco Docklands to assess current levels of knowledge and understanding of diversity and inclusion issues.
The questionnaire covered the following subjects:
- Coverage of the law
- Identifying discrimination
- Managing bullying and harassment
- Managing equality, diversity and inclusion
- Communicating responsibilities to staff
- Benefits of commitment to equality
- Benefits of equality and diversity policy
- Benefits of valuing employees
- Valuing diverse ideas, views and culture
- Good practice in employment
- Good practice in service delivery
- Change and improvement.
We then analysed the results from the questionnaire and wrote a summary report with our findings. As well as presenting the results in a face-to-face meeting with the Executive Team, we also produced a report with our recommendations concerning each subject. This would then allow Serco to commission training specific to the needs of managers and supervisors.
The results and findings from the questionnaire also informed the content of two one-day training events for senior staff and others with important responsibilities for diversity.