URW’s key objectives to overcome this diversity challenge were as follows:
- Drive gender balance in senior positions (above associate level)
- Reduce the turnover rate of female employees
- Create an inclusive culture that supports all employees and ensures their continued engagement
Starting in October 2018, EW Group ran one-to-one interviews and began designing the sessions that would be delivered by of two of our diversity consultants in November 2018, meeting our 1st December deadline. Through the Unconscious Bias Training designed for the managers at URW the expected result was to create a common language around bias during the Talent Review meetings in December 2018 when key decisions would be made about employees’ career progression.
We delivered seven face-to-face sessions across 5 European countries with 100 managers with a dozen different nationalities, including the CEO and some board members. The content and structure of the sessions was tailored to suit URW’s learners’ profiles to create a suitable learning environment and demonstrate effectively how to apply their newfound diversity knowledge to their daily work.
The key objectives to meeting during these sessions included:
- Discuss why diversity and inclusion is important to them as leaders, as individuals and for the business and its future
- Increase the level of understanding about how unconscious bias affects decision-making at work and its impact on team performance
- Apply this understanding to real life scenarios at URW and discuss how things could have been done differently
- Develop a collective view of what inclusive leadership looks like and an individual commitment to being proactive and making positive changes
The session’s content created deep discussion amongst participants, especially our acted scenario videos, and overall the sessions were very well received.
Below are some more measurable outcomes from these sessions:
- 100% of participants have discussed next steps and 90% of participants committed to an action they will follow to mitigate the impact of bias in their decision-making
- Gender diversity was discussed as being the starting point of reflection on culture but quickly led to how to create an inclusive workplace for all and how this would ensure future business performance
- Very positive feedback at the end of each session
- CEO’s quote: “Diversity is the mother of our future success.”